Blocked or clogged tear ducts is a medical condition in the eyes mostly seen in new born baby and infants and also can be seen in adults, which may be because of an infection or worse there may be a small tumor and it results in a watery and inflamed eye.In most cases clogged or blocked tear ducts are a common case in new born baby and it can be treated at home or can be diagnosed by a doctor.
Blocked tear ducts(also known as dacryocystitisis) a situation when there exists an obstruction or blockage between the passageway/canal which connects the eye to the nose.As it is mostly seen in the infants but adults can also suffer from clogged tear ducts because of various reasons for it such are:
- Age related changes in which the tear ducts get swollen and it get blocked and creates the issue of clogged tear ducts.
- Infection in the Eye can lead to tear ducts blockage which results in watery eye and swelling of eye.
- Injuries to the Face which results in damage of tear ducts and it affects the area of eye and nose resulting in the blockage of tear ducts.
- Congenital blockage, it is mostly seen in new born baby(infants).
- Tumors which may occur in the eye or nostril which harms the tear ducts and block the tear duct passsageway.
Major and Minor Symptoms of Blocked Tear Ducts
- Increased tearing, tears overflow from the eyes and it can be seen continuous flow of tears.
- Because of the blocked tear duct problem one can face tears which may be little bit thicker than normal tears can be seen producing hard tear layers on your face once it is dry.
- Recurrent eye inflamation become a common symptom if you are having clogged tear ducts problem.
- people suffering from blocked tear ducts can see mucus or pus like discharge in the eye lids.
- Because of the inflammation and continous flow of thick tears one might face blurred vision, but one wash there eye and if the blurred vision issue is still there then you should contact doctors as soon as possible.
Home Remedies for Clearing Blocked Tear Ducts
Clean your eye regularly
- One can clean there eye with baby shapmoo to maintain the hygiene of eye it wiill also kill the bacteria which come in direct contact of eye.
- Take a baby shampoo put some drops in a cup of water.
- Take a clean smooth cotton and dip it in the baby shampoo solution and clean the eye lids and wash your eyes with the baby shampoo solution and rinse it.
- Wash your eyes with cold water.
Apply a Warm Compress
- Take a cup of water and heat it for a while make sure the water is not boiling or should not be to hot.
- Take a clean cloth or a clean cotton and dip it in the warm compress.
- Put the warm compress over the tear ducts for about 5 minutes and repeat the process multiple times with same warm water.
- Repeat the whole warm compress process 5-6 times a day, It will help in cleaning the blockage and curring the tear ducts blockage.
Lacrimal Sac Massage
How to do lacrimal sac massage
- Wash your hands with antibacterial solutions or soaps to avoid any kind of infections.
- with your index finger put it in the inner corner of your eye near to the nose because the puncta and the tear ducts are that side and we need to target the lacrimal sac.
- Now with complete atention apply some pressure to this corner of the eye and release it, make sure you don't apply too much pressure which start hurting.
- Apply this pressure and release loop 3-5 times.
- Perform the lacrimal sac massage multiple times a day after washing your eyes and your hands to avoid further infection.
Breast Milk to Kill Bacteria
How to place breast milk in the eyes to kill bacteria.
- Take a well sterilized dropper and suck in few drops of breast milk in it.
- Then gently drop 2-3 drops of breast milk in the eyes suffering from blocked tear ducts.
- If, you are out of sterilized dropper then you can use your hands but before you start wash your hand and then take drops of breast milk on your index finger and let it drop in the eyes gently.
- Repeat the steps 5-6 times in day to get rid of clogged tear ducts fast.
Medical Treatment of Blocked Tear Ducts
Dilation, Probing and Irrigation Technique
Balloon Catheter Dilation Procedures
- A narrow catheter( tube ) with a deflated balloon on the tips is guided through the the lower ducts which helps in the adjustment of the deflated balloon in the ducts.
- Doctor uses a simple air pump to fill the air in the balloon or inflate or deflate the balloon to clear the ducts blockage and let the drainage happens and opens up all the blockage present in the ducts.
Clogged or Blocked tear ducts is seen in both children and adults. In most of the cases it is correctable and very few complication have been seen.Home remedies for the blocked tear ducts are good for infants and toddlers or if it is less harmful but some times you may have to go through the surgical process.
Surgery is usually recommended for adults and grownup children and some times for new born or infants or toddlers also go through it.
When infants and toddlers need treatment for blocked tear ducts, minimal and less invasive options are often used.These procedures is also effective on adults by simply narrowing of puncta.
Surgeons and doctors may prescribe some eye drops or cream which will be antimicrobial in nature to avoid exposures to external bactrial which may cause infections.Home remedies are very effective for partially blocked tear ducts and gives relief in major cases but don't forget to contact your eye surgeon or doctors for their professional advice and treatment.